Electricity can most certainly kill, and today, it is one of the most frequent causes for accidental fires in Australia. Most Aussies use electricity and electrical appliances on a daily basis, but many of them don’t take into account the fact that electricity can pose as a serious threat if they are not careful with it. A broken electrical component or a loose wire can cause a catastrophe at any moment, even when you’re not at home. The best way to protect yourself and your home from electrical malfunctions is to frequently ensure that your entire electrical equipment is handled and maintained correctly.

Every time you become suspicious of any electrical appliance, cords, power sockets or whatever, don’t hesitate to call an electrician and visit an electrical supplies store to look for a replacement. Better yet, have a few electrical supplies at home so you can fix the issue before it even arises. In this article, I’ll go over some of the most common everyday electrical dangers.

Electrical Supplies

Overloaded Adapters

All of us have probably done this at one point or another. There are so few power points, yet so many gadgets need to be plugged in. So what do we do? We plug an adapter and connect everything we can into it. This might seem okay, but the more wattage passing through the adapter, the hotter it gets. Too much electricity passing through it may cause a fire!

Faulty Wiring and Cords

Poor wiring can definitely increase the chances of a power surge, fire, arc faults and other serious accidents. Any damaged or exposed cords lying around in your home pose a great risk. Ensure all your electrical work is done by a licensed and experienced professional as this is required by law. Furthermore, make sure you take good care of your cables by ensuring they are not in the harm’s way of pets, furniture, kids or anything else. If you’re not using a certain cable, unplug it and put it somewhere safe.

Bathroom Electrical Appliances

Electricity and water don’t mix well at all, so when you’re in the bathroom, always take extra precautions to store and keep electrical items like the hair dryer away from the basin, shower or bathtub. Additionally, wet skin increases the risk of electrocution as the body’s resistance to electricity is reduced.


Yes, even a regular lightbulb can pose a threat to your home if not used correctly. Lamps, for instance, provide recommended bulb wattage specs, requiring you to install a bulb with wattage of lesser or equal value. If you install bulbs with a higher wattage capacity, the lamp can cause fire in certain circumstances.